Mar 20 2010

public info announcement

Published by at 8:27 am under health

While it’s been posted elsewhere, I don’t think it was clearly announced here that this week, I was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive malignancy in my left breast. There is a lot of medical unpleasantness coming up, so it may slow down my rate of posting here. However, health permitting, I still plan to be posting weekly with more fiction installments, more posts about writing and editing, links as I find them, and so on. If you’d like to help out in a really easy way, consider participating on the posts by leaving comments. Even if it’s just “I agree” or “this doesn’t work that way for me” (though more elaboration is always nice!), knowing you’re out there and reading would be a nice boost and a good help during this time. If you’d like to stay current on daily events, this link here will take you to my Fan Page on Facebook which we’ll be trying to keep updated with news as it happens.

Thanks, send good energy our way, and keep reading!

22 responses so far

22 Responses to “public info announcement”

1. […] For anyone wanting to keep up with my girlfriend’s health situation, the details are here. […]

2. MadGastronomeron 20 Mar 2010 at 9:47 am

My sympathies.

3. Reesaon 20 Mar 2010 at 9:50 am

@MadGastronomer – long time no read! How goeth the restaurant?

4. Evaon 20 Mar 2010 at 10:10 am

random drive by to say *good wishes*

5. Takuan Daikonon 20 Mar 2010 at 10:47 am

I wish you well, and hope that the upcoming “medical unpleasantness” is well matched by excellent results.

6. Emma Bullon 20 Mar 2010 at 11:10 am

Well, shit. That sucks mightily. Anything Will or I can do, let us know, okay?

7. Jean Marie Wardon 20 Mar 2010 at 11:17 am

I’m a stranger here, but sending good wishes just the same. Echoing Takuan Daikon’s sentiments, I hope the upcoming “medical unpleasantness” is well matched by excellent results.

8. Rebeccaon 20 Mar 2010 at 11:33 am

Sympathy and good wishes.

9. will shetterlyon 20 Mar 2010 at 12:00 pm

Sending good energy. And what Emma said.

10. Mark Mandelon 20 Mar 2010 at 12:29 pm

Good Thoughts and prayers.

11. Bradon 20 Mar 2010 at 5:33 pm

Goodness. I wish I lived closer so I could drop by.

Please, let me know if you need something I can help with from a few thousand miles away.

12. christwriteron 20 Mar 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hey, this is Chelsea. I have no idea what the hell to say, other than “Jesus”.

You have my prayers, and what other folk said. If there is anything I can do to help ya’ll out in any way, let me know, OK?

13. Lee Goldon 20 Mar 2010 at 7:15 pm

Good thoughts and (unless you object) prayers.

–Lee Gold, who has found it useful to have a bathrobe with snaps or buttons (not a zipper) to take to the hospital, if you don’t want to wear the standard hospital nighty but do want something that won’t frustrate the staff if they want to look at or insert something into a part of you

14. Cynthia Mooreon 20 Mar 2010 at 8:17 pm

Grrrr. This is NOT the kind of news I was asking for. Hiss and boo to all cancer-causing microrganisms.

Stock up for flavorless foods fed by most unenlightened hospitals: a grinder or shaker of seasoned salt (or salt-free spice mix), individual packets of lemon juice or lemon “powder (makes even canned green beans taste better, and sometimes even jello tolerable, plus it’s extra C. Grinder of mixed peppercorns, small chunks of candied ginger (for nausea, dry mouth and general wake-up call to taste buds.) I used to have a whole kit when I was in the ICU, but I’ve forgotten most of it. Idea is to choose a few things you like with the power to cover up and/or completely transform that which could not be eaten otherwise.

That’s my contribution for the day. Animal crackers and cocoa to drink are a rather nice bedtime treat also.

15. Katon 21 Mar 2010 at 7:26 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this! I hope that beating back the malignancy and the associated medical unpleasantness goes as quickly and painlessly as possible!

I was reminded of these (https://www.healingthreads.com/) by something someone up-thread said about robes. They had them on display at a conference I attended, and though I haven’t gotten to try them yet, they were quite comfortable to try on and cleverly designed.

16. Lindsayon 22 Mar 2010 at 8:31 am

Tons of positive energy and healing mojo sent your way (from a stranger).

17. Casson 22 Mar 2010 at 9:13 am

I will also be sending vibes and spiritual hugs.

18. Reesaon 22 Mar 2010 at 9:28 am

Knew I was forgetting something in all the mess, forgot to reply to comments here!

Thanks to everyone leaving well-wishes! We’ll keep updating the Fan page as we know more and with things that folks near and far can do to help, so keep checking in over there if you’re one of that sort.

@Emma & Will – Steve suggested a 3-of-us retreat week out in Tuscon during the recovery phase, if that’s something that could be arranged I bet I would appreciate it very much. I’ll certainly understand if you’re booked, though, and we don’t have enough info on what’s happening when to talk scheduling just yet. Thank you for the well-wishes!

@Brad – got your offer on the fan page, that’s super-sweet. Details heading your way in email.

@Lee and Cynthia – Thanks for the hospital tips! We hadn’t gotten around that discussion yet so the comments sparked yet another of the prep discussions that we needed to have. I think my mom will probably be in charge of helping supplement the hospital food, and we’re pretty stocked up at home too. I don’t have a robe with snaps or buttons, but I have a big fluffy warm tie-on robe I can just put on over the top of the gown, they both open in front.

19. Pamela Deanon 22 Mar 2010 at 6:17 pm

Reesa, I’m so sorry. *thumbs nose at universe* I am thinking of you. If you need anything from Minneapolis, let me know.

P.

20. Steve Halteron 24 Mar 2010 at 11:57 am

Good thoughts and sympathy.

21. Jeremyon 30 Mar 2010 at 8:00 pm

I’m so sorry, Reesa. Hang in there.

22. Tayloron 23 May 2010 at 5:36 pm

Blessings and healing to you.
    My wife and I nursed our then 18 month old, now 22 year old daughter through 5 years of treatment for a rare and aggressive cancer.
    Crackers, real ginger tea and prayer from us and your many friends. All are proven effective. Love along with the prayer is a given.
    Joy and happiness during your regime is still vital, don’t let the hospital routines and attitudes take you over. Laugh and love and have joy every day. Powerful medicine.