Apr 09 2011

Big News; Bad News; Baby News

This blog will be resuming, probably this week. There’s a lot to write about, most of it scary and not-good, unfortunately. But the good news first:

We have a new daughter! She was born by c-section at 36 weeks, so about a month early (counting months in 4-week intervals). She had no major negative side-effects from the early arrival, and is just about perfect in every way that we need both now and in the weeks and months coming up. There is one superpower evident already, as even people who don’t like babies think she’s sweet and adorable. She is the best-tempered baby I have ever seen (and I’m not just saying that because I birthed her), so far only crying when there is an obvious reason to be upset (dirty diaper, hungry belly, cold). She was born on 3/30/11 and passed her first week of weight loss and back into the gaining zone while still in the hospital, weighing more now than she did at birth (which was 5 lbs 14 ounces). She came out a full-length baby at 19 1/4 inches long, so it’s quite likely she’ll take after my husband’s lean and long side of the family. We’ve been having fun looking at my own baby pictures as there is a strong resemblance between how I looked like then and how she looks now.

We did not stay in the hospital for nearly two weeks because of the pregnancy and childbirth, however. (Bad News Alert) I have cancer again. The breast cancer has metastasized (yes, even though there were no signs of metastasis last year) and is in much more scary parts of the body now. This is also the source of the extreme and excruciating pain that sent me into the hospital two weeks ago. At least we know why the other treatments weren’t working to take away the pain, and we have a plan of action to start working on this new phase.

So stay tuned to this website and blog for more posts detailing what we’ve learned in the last couple of weeks, as well as more details about all parts of the new cancer experience and of course, baby news!

11 Responses to “Big News; Bad News; Baby News”

1. briton 09 Apr 2011 at 7:46 pm

rees, you know I’m not a religious person, but I’m praying thinking and general positivenessing my heart out for you and your amazing family.

2. Skyeon 09 Apr 2011 at 8:33 pm

Oh my god. There are not enough I’m sorry’s. If there’s anything at all I can do…

3. DWon 09 Apr 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love you, and if there is anything you need that I can do, let me know. Rides, help.. whatever.

Good news from here, Marcus has finally settled in, he cuddles with us, and has stopped licking his fur off. He and Tali sleep cuddled very often, and he likes to sit on the arm of my comfy chair while I am in it, working on the computer. Fur is glossy, and for the last month, there has been no suspect pee spots.

Again, call or write me if need be, and I can help.

DW

4. CHERYLon 09 Apr 2011 at 9:38 pm

Oh, dear. What a wonderful, beautiful, horrible, scary time!! Please let me know if there is anything that I can help with. I’m so happy for your new baby and that she is doing so well. I will keep good thoughts for the cancer thing and hope that the new treatments will not be too terrible.
    Hugs,
    C.

5. Reesaon 10 Apr 2011 at 6:43 pm

@Brit — I’m very much a non-denominational well-wishes receiver, even more so this time around than last. Pray for me, light candles, send positive vibes, chant, trance-dance, whatever you think will get the good energy to me.

@Skye — thank you!

@Dirty — I love you! And love is definitely one of our best survival tools. You’re already helping out a huge whole lot with fostering Marcus. However, send me an email (myfirstname @ thissite) and let me know what times you are available to provide rides or help, so I can have it on hand if something like that comes up. Oh! also meal help…I can’t stand for long enough to cook anything useful these days so precooked food that can be re-heated is an awesome gift. Or even preprepped food that just needs tossing into an oven is nice. (I’ll be putting a post up in a day or two detailing Ways People Can Help.)

@Cheryl — see my comments to brit and DW on well-wishes and help. :) And keep up those cancer-killing thoughts!

6. Cynthiaon 17 Apr 2011 at 10:18 am

Reesa –
    I am so happy that the baby is here and fine, and so sorry at the same time. What a crazy, mixed-up time you must be having. Please know that we are thinking of you, tho most of us will probably stay quiet. Wishing you all that is good, and bridges across the rough roads.
    Cynthia in MN

7. Reesaon 17 Apr 2011 at 1:43 pm

@Cynthia — I am sorry you are choosing to let your support remain quiet. Thanks for the comment.

8. Kikion 18 Apr 2011 at 1:14 am

Many blessings on the birth of your daughter, and many healing wishes to you, Reesa.

9. Pamela Deanon 19 Apr 2011 at 12:12 am

I had fallen behind on LJ and only just saw this. I am so glad about your daughter and so sorry about the cancer. What a weird combination to be dealing with. I am thinking hordes of good thoughts for you and yours.

Pamela

10. Reesaon 19 Apr 2011 at 9:40 am

@Kiki — Thanks!

@ Pamela — It is indeed a strange combination of life upheavals to try to deal with together, I’m sure I’m missing parts that will catch up with me later. Thanks for the good thoughts they are welcome!

11. Terri Avalonon 04 Jun 2011 at 11:52 pm

Reesa,

I just heard and my heart both sings for you and breaks for you. I’m living thousands of miles away now, but I will pray for you. You’ve given me another reason to come back and visit Austin.